Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Making Nick Cave Smile

Did I tell you my Nick Cave story?

It was a good few years back and me and a mate were in Edinburgh to see his gig with the Dirty 3 in the gardens below Edinburgh Castle.
We got there in the afternoon, already more than half cut, and the city was jumping- it was during the Festival and, for once, the sun was out.
As we passed the park where Nick was to play later we suddenly heard a burst of piano and a few, low Antipodean grunts, "One Two, One, Two!"
A quick check over the hedge and sure enough, it was Nick soundchecking; walking this open- air bandstand, surrounded by pensioners enjoying the sun in the park.
We quickly staggered to the front to watch, a few seats along from an obviously awe-struck goth girl, frozen to her seat by Nick's proximity.
We were treated to a few run throughs on the piano then Nick got caught up in a discussion with the stage guy. They were debating whether the seats already laid out in front of the stage were a good idea or not.
Suddenly Nick looked down from the stage and asked me,
"What do you think, should we leave the seats or get rid off them?"
I took a moment or two to mull his dilemma over, then replied,
"I have absolutely no opinion on the matter."
Nick looked, for a split second only, taken aback, then smiled as if he had got the answer he really should have expected.
He chuckled, thanked me for my honesty and carried on with the soundcheck.

Not the most awesome tale ever told, I know, but I can honestly go to my grave knowing that once upon a time I made Nick Cave laugh.

And that, my friend, is good enough for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home